Our flying full-back is staying at Leipzig! Die Roten Bullen have agreed to extend Angeliño's loan from Manchester City by a further year, keeping him at the club until at least summer 2021. The club has also secured an option to buy the Spaniard on a four-year deal until 2025.
The full-back initially arrived on loan from City in January 2020 and immediately slotted into the team and Julian Nagelsmann's system. The 23-year-old made 18 competitive appearances last season - 16 of which were the full 90 minutes - providing five assists and also scoring a goal in the 5-0 win at Schalke.
We're looking forward to spending at least one more season together , Angel!
Sporting director Markus Krösche:
- "Angel hasn’t needed much time to settle in with us and he’s understood our brand of football from the start. He did really well in the Rückrunde and also helped us achieve our goals in the Champions League. He’s made a great impact with us. That’s why we’re so pleased that he’ll be wearing an RB Leipzig shirt for at least another season."
- "I'm delighted to be staying in Leipzig and that we carry on our journey together. My first six months with RBL have been amazing; I got lots of game time straightaway and I really like the coach and the team's approach. We also had really successful Bundesliga and Champions League campaigns. I'm very much looking forward to the future and lots more success."
- Name: José Ángel Esmorís Tasende
- Date of birth: 4th January 1997 in Coristanco (Spain)
- Age: 23 years old
- Height: 5'7''
- Preferred foot: left
- Position: Left back
- Number: 3
RB Leipzig stats
- Overall: 18 games | 1 goal | 5 assists
- Bundesliga: 13 games | 1 goal | 2 assists
- UEFA Champions League: 4 games | 2 assists
- DFB-Pokal: 1 game | 1 assist