After Wednesday's Pokal, its back to the Bundesliga! On Matchday 24, RB Leipzig travel to take on SC Freiburg.
At the virtual press conference ahead of the match against Christian Streich's side, head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke to the journalists.
Julian Nagelsmann on ...
... A solid Freiburg side:
- "SC Freiburg have a lot of quality in their side. They're not getting a huge amount of chances at the moment, but have the second best chance conversion after FC Bayern. We have always had problems in that area. Christian Streich is a very clever coach who is always developing new ideas. He has a solid team and he knows it well. Freiburg have their hearts on their sleeves and always go into their games with a lot of emotion.
... Freshness on Mathcday 24:
"After an intense cup game against Wolfsburg, we will have to bring an element of freshness in against Freiburg, but also maintain a secure base to be able to resist what is a tough opponent. Last time we played away at Freiburg, we played a great first half, but couldn’t keep it up over the full 90 minutes. We will need to do that at the weekend.We can’t think about anything like the league table or Wednesday’s Champions League game. We have to play for the here and now and go to our limits over the full 90 minutes and give Freiburg a real fight for the course of the game."
- "I’m very pleased with how the boys have dealt with the high demands. In my opinion, you can already see that some other teams have lost some of their physicality and are finding it a bit more difficult to play. Especially against Hertha BSC and Borussia Mönchengladbach, we were pushing and giving everything right until the 94th minute of the game.So far, I haven’t seen any problems in our team, mental or physical. It won’t be easier against Freiburg, because they will be fresher than us. Wednesday’s Pokal match was very intense.
... One year of the Coronavirus:
"The world has been living with the Corona virus for almost a year now. The last time we played in front of a sell-out crowd was on 10th March - that was the Champions League round of 16 against Tottenham.
I can still remember taking the lead, when our stadium announcer Tim Thoelke called Marcel Sabitzer's name through the Red Bull Arena the fans responded to him. That was a very meaningful and important victory for RB Leipzig.
I really hope that we can all be together again soon, shouting the players’ names after a goal. This day is my aim, which I look ahead to work hard towards."
+++ Team news +++
- Marcel Sabitzer is suspended after picking up five yellow cards. He is training individually this week due to a calf injury and will not travel to Freiburg..
- Marcel Halstenberg will not travel due to a knee issue and is expected to return to team training on Monday.
- Angeliño will take part in team training on Friday to observe whether he will be available for Saturday’s game.
- Willi Orban suffered a spiral fracture in his left metacarpal in the DFB-Pokal game against VfL Wolfsburg and underwent surgery on Thursday morning. As soon as swelling in the hand has gone away, he will be able to play again using protective equipment.