RB Leipzig vs. VfL Wolfsburg
The last home game of 2020/21 is right around the corner. On Sunday evening (20:30 CEST), RBL will host VfL Wolfsburg on Bundesliga matchday 33. This will be the third meeting between the sides this season, after a 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture and a 2-0 win for the Bulls in the DFB-Pokal quarterfinals.
Head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke to the press ahead of Sunday's game and gave a squad update.
Julian Nagelsmann on...
...The DFB-Pokal final defeat:
- "If you reach the final and don't win, then of course it's frustrating. Everyone can understand that. Of course I was running through the game in my mind afterwards. We all would have loved to have won the cup."
...the mood within the team:
- "The quarantine we're currently under is a small blessing for us. It allowed the players to discuss the final defeat amongst themselves. Of course they are disappointed, but overall, the mood is good. Ideally, we want to end the season with 70 points and finish in second.
You have to put the cup defeat behind you. Our goal now is to improve on last season and to equal our record from 2019/20. A win tomorrow would make this our best campaign at home in club history. Our guys are therefore sufficiently motivated to give it their all.
We also want the Bundesliga to be a fair competition. We won't purposely throw any games, as we're far too competitive for that."
...tomorrow's opponents VfL Wolfsburg:
- "Compared to us, Wolfsburg are under a bit more pressure as they look to get a Champions League spot, especially if Eintracht Frankfurt win [on Saturday].
The Wolves have been playing aggressive and successful football all season, with lots of Gegenpressing and technical skill. The way they chip passes to Wout Weghorst is very dangerous. They are also very well-rehearsed in attack. They know what to do when faced with a back three or even a back four. They have a lot of pace in their game. They also have players like Ridle Baku, who are currently in strong form.
I'm expecting an exciting game tomorrow, similar to both our past meetings this season."
+++ Squad Update +++
- Tyler Adams will not feature this weekend due to back problems.
- Dani Olmo is dealing with a knock (calf). Both he, Lukas Klostermann and Marcel Halstenberg are all doubts for the match against Wolfsburg.