Bundesliga. DFB-Pokal. Champions League. A hectic period for RB Leipzig begins on Saturday evening (kickoff: 18:30 CET) with the visit of Borussia Mönchengladbach.
Head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke at the virtual press conference, discussing the upcoming game and team news.
Julian Nagelsmann on ...
... the upcoming game on Matchday 23:
- "We don’t have the same situation as Gladbach going into Saturday’s game. Marco Rose is likely to make some changes to his side after the midweek game. We’ll try to predict their starting lineup but we’ll put more focus on their basic style and principles.
Borussia Mönchengladbach will not be an easy team to prepare for. They have a lot of qualities in the team, and you saw that again on Wednesday in the Champions League against Manchester City. I'm looking forward to the game, the Foals will give it everything on Saturday.
... Rotation and 'Never Change A Winning Team':
- "I always evaluate my players based on their performance in matches and training. It wasn't an outstanding performance against Hertha, but we were efficient. One or two players but in a good show and therefore gave justifications for their place in the starting XI against Borussia Mönchengladbach. I am yet to decide on the starting lineup for Saturday."
However, new players could come into the side - such as Emil Forsberg, Kevin Kampl and Dayot Upamecano, who are all fit again. This trio has earned a certain standing within the team over recent years through consistently strong performances and they stability to the pitch. It wouldn't hurt to have players with such experience involved against Gladbach.
... The season run-in and fight for the title:
- "The league table is very tight at the moment, and that coupled with the knockout games in the DFB Cup and the Champions League, it's self-explanatory how important the upcoming weeks are. We have games coming up against some very strong sides.
If we want to stay at the top, we don't have too much room for error. We have to give our all in every competition and try to win almost every game. The end of the season phase is hugely important.
However, we're not concerned about fighting for the league title. FC Bayern Munich are currently the best team in the Bundesliga. If you want to keep up with Bayern, you have to remain unbelievably consistent and not allow any mistakes.
- "This season, we've got a bit more stability than last season and we have two more points. We're trying to keep looking at ourselves and our performances and win every game. We'll see how that turns out in the end.
I put a lot of our current success down to our defensive stability, combines with the good chances we've created going forward. These factors give you a sense of security on the field and are good prerequisites for success.
In addition, we've gotten used to the feeling of playing without spectators - which is still a huge shame.
+++ Team news ++
- Emil Forsberg, Kevin Kampl and Dayot Upamecano are injury-free and took part in team training. The three players are available for Saturday's game.