Red Bull Arena under the floodlights! On Saturday evening (kickoff 18:30 CEST) the Roten Bullen will face FC Schalke 04 in the second home game of the new season.
Ahead of the game, head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke the the media about the new head coach at Schalke and also gave some individual player updates, before looking ahead to this evening's Champions League group stage draw.
Our home kit for 20/21!
Julian Nagelsmann on ...
the mood in the team:
- "Yesterday's 11-vs-11 was really good. The players were really up for it. Based on their training performances, I'd have to pick more players for the game against Schalke than I'm allowed to!
The players, as well as us as a team, never take any victory for granted, no matter whether it is against a big team or a small team. We enjoy every win."
Schalke 04 getting a new coach:
- "It would have been better for us if it had happened after our game. However I have a good idea of how Manuel Baum will want to get his team playing. I also ask myself what I would change if I were in his position - such as the amount of goals they have conceded recently, for example.
As a result of a new coach coming in, the players who haven't played much always want to show what they can do, and therefore the whole team gets a boost. A new coach brings something new to training and has their own way of playing football. At the end of the day however, it's down to us how we play on Saturday and how we perform.
We've been working on things for the upcoming game - I'm very excited to see if it will be successful!."
on Alexander Sørloth:
- "Alexander was training individually when the other players were resting. He's also looked a lot better this week than compared to the Leverkusen game. He has a great character, is always willing to listen and wants to learn.
However, making the starting lineup will be difficult for him. It's probably too soon for him after coming back from a three-and-a-half week break."
on Christopher Nkunku:
- "In attack, there are several options. We will also have to see what the situation is with Yussi Poulsen and Hee-chan Hwang up until the last minute.
Christo has trained really well this week. So far, he's played almost every game under me but now he has a new situation where the coach is perhaps not entirely satisfied with him. But that's something that he's taking to well. He is definitely a candidate for the starting XI on Saturday."
on Willi Orban:
- "I've explained Willi's situation to him - he had a long spell out through injury, and also Marcel Halstenberg and Lukas Klostermann have played well in his position. Willi is professional and recognises that too. He is a reflective person with his heart in the right place. You can always rely on him.
He always gives his all in training. I don't like making players as motivated as that sit on the bench all the time. So he is also in with a chance of starting on Saturday."
on the Champions League Group Stage draw:
- "I'm not really hoping for any coaches or teams in particular. However it would be really nice if we got to play in some new stadiums.
At the end of the day, the draw is like presents at Christmas: you never seem to get the one thing you wish for!"
The new RBL training wear!
+++ Team news +++
- Yussuf Poulsen continues to suffer light muscle problems which are affecting his movement. He will take a fitness test on Friday to observe whether he will be available for Saturday's game.
- Hee-chan Hwang took a knock to the hip, which is causing pain. His involvement in Saturday's game will depend on his pain levels.
- Marcel Sabitzer still needs more time, but is able to complete work with the ball.
- Konrad Laimer continues his rehabilitation and is due back in Leipzig next week. After that, a return to team training will be the target.
- Ibrahima Konaté has taken part in parts of team training. The defender did not take part in the 11-vs-11 session, but is in good condition and making good progress.