After defeating Manchester United at the RB Arena on Tuesday, the Roten Bullen have qualified for the Champions League round of 16! On Saturday afternoon (kick-off: 15:30 CET), RB Leipzig turn their attentions back to the Bundesliga and the visit of SV Werder Bremen.
Ahead of the game, head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke at the press conference about the upcoming match up, as well as current team news.
Julian Nagelsmann on...
... momentum and a wave of emotion:
- "At the Red Bull Arena this season, we've been incredibly strong - both in the Bundesliga and also the UEFA Champions League. After the three important games against Basaksehir, Bayern und Man United, I don't worry that the boys will give any less against SV Werder Bremen either. We know tomorrow's game will ask a lot of us mentally, but we want to take the momentum from our recent games and continue to ride this wave of emotion. We want three points tomorrow."
... ambitious Bremen:
- "Florian Kohfeldt has set a minimum aim of a point each in the games against us and against Dortmund next week. He is a very ambitious coach who is very aware of our situation as well as their own. Bremen started the season really well. They will be the fresher team and will try and bring a lot of physicality and vigour in order to try and win. We have to fight against that!"
... his time at RB Leipzig:
- "During my one and a half years here at Leipzig, a lot has come true. When you change clubs, there are always a few ideas: some things take time, and you have to make a few changes. But everyone here is going in the right direction. There is a brilliant atmosphere among not only the players but also the coaching team. There is a great sense of familiarity here; the trip to Lisbon contributed a great deal too.
The spread-out playing time as well as success are of course very beneficial to the whole picture."
... visible progress:
- "Training time is currently limited, so my main task at the moment is to show the players individual clips of their game in one-to-one meetings. Amadou Haidara in particular takes a lot from this and has made enormous progress this season. Against Manchester United he was one of the players who stood out the most."
Christmas with RBL!
+++ Team news +++
- Christopher Nkunku has suffered a knock to his ankle and is a doubt for Saturday's game against Werder Bremen. Julian Nagelsmann does not expect the player to be able to complete the final training session on Friday.
- Lukas Klostermann will join team training next week. He is able to move well and is physically in good shape, with his recovery process going really well after a successful operation.
- Benjamin Henrichs is out for a few weeks with a patella injury.
- Hee-chan Hwang is still not available after contracting the coronavirus, and is slowly making a return. A return before the new year is not expected.
- Lazar Samardžić tested positive for Covid-19 and is undergoing quarantine at home, and is therefore unavailable for selection.
- Konrad Laimer (arthroscopy in right knee) is in the rehabilitation phase of his injury and remains unavailable.