The Roten Bullen are halfway through the Champions League group stage. On Tuesday evening (24th November, 21:00 CET), we visit the Parc des Princes to take on Paris Saint-Germain.
Ahead of the game, head coach Julian Nagelsmann attended the pre-match press conference alongside Ibrahima Konaté, where he discussed the current state of the squad as well as the upcoming match.
Julian Nagelsmann on...
...pressure ahead of tomorrow's match:
- “Pressure won’t be the deciding factor tomorrow – the game will be decided by the form on the day and the general performance in the match. There is pressure before every match, but other factors are decisive during the 90 minutes.Every Champions League match is fundamentally special. You still feel that every time. There was obviously greater pressure in the semi-final last year. Both teams wanted to reach the final, and for PSG it was perhaps even essential.”
...the team's tactical focus:
- “In the last few matches we have had far more possession than the games that came before. That means that we don’t have to do as much defending.
When you have less of the ball, you obviously have to defend more at the other end. We will have to deal with lots of different things tomorrow, like PSG’s pressing, transitions and turnovers. That’s what we have to be prepared for.”
... Paris Saint-Germain:
- “With Neymar and Kylian Mbappé, PSG’s play is focused on two players. Thomas Tuchel often likes to switch between two different formations, though, so we will have to see how they set up tomorrow. We definitely want to give them their ‘final’ that they are talking about themselves. I’m expecting an open approach from our opponents tomorrow.”
... Ibrahima Konaté:
- “Ibou Konaté has obviously needed plenty of time after his difficult injury, but in the last few games he’s done really well. For me he is among the best centre-backs in the Bundesliga, and he is also capable of playing in other positions too. He is a fine football player, as well as a kind and intelligent young man who always listens and wants to improve.”
Ibrahima Konaté on ...
- “There are obviously loads of great players in the PSG ranks, such as Neymar and Kylian Mbappé. But we also have lots of good players in our squad. We have to act as a unit so that we can stand firm tomorrow.”
...a 'home game' for the Frenchman:
- “Tomorrow’s match will feel a bit like a home game for me. I was born here, I lived here, and all of my friends and even family are PSG fans. But I can’t think about that tomorrow. We have to carry our out game-plan.”
Check out the RBL Christmas gear!
- All players who travelled with the team took part in training. Nordi Mukiele could see some game time tomorrow night, but it's too early for him to play the full 90 minutes.
- Willi Orban and Dayot Upamecano came out of the Frankfurt game feeling good and are both available to play.
- Benny Henrichs is a doubt due to knee pain.
- Hee-chan Hwang tested positive for Covid-19. He is currently quarantining at home away from the RB Leipzig training centre, and will continue to be tested regularly in cooperation with the local health authority.
- Lukas Klostermann (recovering from keyhold surgery in left knee) and Konrad Laimer (recovering from keyhole surgery in right knee) are currently in rehab training and will not be available for selection.