A talent to add to the defence! The Roten Bullen have completed the signing of Croatian defender Joško Gvardiol, effective from 1st July 2021. RB Leipzig reached an agreement with Dinamo Zagreb for the transfer of the 18-year-old next summer. The Croatian U21 international has signed a five-year contract at RBL until 2026.
Joško has been making his way through the Dinamo Zagreb youth setup since 2010, and will take the next step in his professional career in Leipzig.
We wish you all the best for the current season with Dinamo Zagreb, and look forward to seeing you in Leipzig, Joško!
Sporting director Markus Krösche:
- "In Joško Gvardiol, we've signed one of the best defensive talents in Europe. As a left-footed defender, he makes us more versatile in defense. At 18 years old, he's still a young player, but is very mature both as a person and a footballer. Joško can pick up more experience and football with Zagreb over the coming months before joining us in summer 2021. In line with our philosophies, we will then help Joško to grow as a player and develop."
New signing Joško Gvardiol:
- "I'm very happy to be able to make this step to RB Leipzig. The club is among the best in Europe and has a very clear style of play. As a young player, it was important for me to come to a club that can help me take the next step in my career. That is exactly what RB Leipzig is all about. The club has shown several times how players can develop and improve here. I'm very grateful to Dinamo Zagreb for allowing me to take this next step. I will do everything I can to be as successful as possible with Dinamo up until my transfer to Leipzig."
Joško Gvardiol player profile:
Name: Joško Gvardiol
Date of birth: 23rd January 2002 in Zagreb (Croatia)
Age: 18 years
Preferred foot: Left
Height: 1.85 metres
Position: Centre back
- since 09/2010: Dinamo Zagreb
- Youth: NK Tresnjevka Zagreb
- 1. HNL (Croation first division): 13 games | 1 goal | 1 assist
- UEFA Champions League qualifications: 2 games
- UEFA Youth League: 12 games