DFB-Pokal to end the year! After another busy week, 2020 comes to an end with the in der 2nd round of the DFB-Pokal. On Tuesday evening (kick-off: 18:30 CET) RB Leipzig take on FC Augsburg at the WWK ARENA.
Ahead of the game, head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke at the press conference about the upcoming clash as well as team news.
Florian Scholz, commercial sporting director & CMO:
- "We would like to clarify that there is no special agreement with the health department of the city of Leipzig, and that RB Leipzig adheres to the regulations. According to the Saxony Coronavirus Quarantine regulation, persons arriving from a risk area must go into home isolation for 10 days.
The isolation ends at the earliest after 5 days in the case that the person presents a negative result to a PCR test for the coronavirus. The health authorities may allow exemptions for valid reasons. We have requested that this minimum 5-day quarantine can be carried out at the RBL Football Academy for players leaving and re-entering from risk areas to visit immediate family. This request has been granted by the authorities."
Julian Nagelsmann on ...
... the development of the team:
- "The high number of clean sheets we’ve kept are the most important thing for me. Last year, we conceded a few too many goals. We need to continue with this security in defence and we’re also dangerous going forward – in every game we’re in the right positions to score goals. We’re the team with the most shots in the league and second for big chances, behind FC Bayern.
What we’re lacking is the composure in front of goal. We need to take our chances more efficiently and win games more comfortably."
... the cup tie against FC Augsburg:
- "It’s a knockout game, so motivation is high, but that doesn’t make it an easy game race because Augsburg will give their all too. It’s a competition that can be very rewarding and also financially profitable.
FCA started the season well and even if they haven’t been able to win some of their recent games, they’ve performed well. Their running after winning possession is especially strong and our task on Tuesday will be to defend this counter-attacking threat. We need a good blend of patience and desire to score goals. Given that Augsburg have lost every game this season where they’ve conceded first, it will be an advantage for us to score the first goal.We’re well-prepared and hope to finish the year off well with a victory to get to the next round."
... the role of Marcel Sabitzer:
- "Sabi is a very important part of this team. He has shown fantastic development Last season he helped the team with a lot of goals and assists, but this season his role is somewhat more defensive in order to give our game more structure. He had picked up a lot of experience, both with us at club-level as well as with his national team.
He embodies the RBL philosophy like no other. He has an unbelievably intelligent game, plays impressive balls and is very smart when it comes to closing off spaces. A lot of players don’t have that vision but Sabi has a really good feeling for when he should dribble and when he should distribute the ball to his teammates.
He is a player who speaks a lot with the coaches and team managers and brings up the important topics on behalf of the team. Taking the captain's armband has definitely helped him mature. I have a great connection with him and am happy that he’s my player."
+++ Team news +++
- Lukas Klostermann is pain free and will travel with the team. Klostermann making an appearance is not planned, but will depend on how the game goes.
- Laki Samardžić is training with the team again. A decision on whether he will travel with the team will be made following the final training session on Monday afternoon.
- Tests carried out on Christopher Nkunku didn’t produce positive results. Nkunku still had pain in his ankle and is unable to carry out sprints. The coach is not positive about his availability for the Pokal game.
- Justin Kluivert was unable to complete his tests due to a lot of pain. He is unavailable for Tuesday.
- Ibrahima Konaté, Benjamin Henrichs, Hee-chan Hwang and Konrad Laimer remain unavailable