Dayot Upamecano will see his buyout clause activated and join FC Bayern Munich on 1st July 2021, where he will take up a five-year contract. The defender will RB Leipzig therefore close the door on four and a half successful years at the end of the current season. The 22 year old joined Leipzig FC Red Bull Salzburg in January 2017 and has since developed into one of the best centre backs in Europe.
To date, the France international (three caps for the French national team) has played 139 games for RBL, scoring four goals and registering three assists.
Oliver Mintzlaff CEO RB Leipzig:
- "Of course, we would have liked to keep Dayot Upamecano at RB Leipzig. However, Dayot indicated to us very fairly and in good time that he would like a new challenge this summer and take the next step. The talks with Dayot and his agent as well as with FC Bayern were transparent and constructive at all times. It was well-known that Dayot Upamecano's contract contained a buy-out clause. Our task was therefore to prepare for the situation that he would one day leave us, and we've done our homework in that regard.
Dayot has shown outstanding development during his time in Leipzig, which is exemplary for our philosophy of finding young talents and consistently bringing them to the top level. Dayot has been and remains an important factor in our success and FC Bayern can look forward to an outstanding footballer and great person. We are now looking to the tasks ahead and want to give Liverpool a great fight on Tuesday in the Champions League last 16."
Markus Krösche Sporting director RB Leipzig:
- "Dayot is a player with exceptional skills. The fact that he will be leaving us at the end of the season is a shame, of course, given his performances for RB Leipzig, but at the same time it was to be expected to a certain extent. We prepared for this early on, for example with the signing of Josip Gvardiol for the coming season, and are well positioned with our planning for the future. Now, we want to achieve the most that we can from this season with Dayot and and we are sure that he will continue to give his all until the end."
- Name: Dayot Upamecano
- Date of birth: 27th October 1998 (in Évreux, France)
- Age: 22 years
- Height: 1.86 metres
- Strong foot: right
- Position: Centre back
Statistics for RB Leipzig
- Overall: 139 games
- Bundesliga: 102 games | 4 goals | 3 assists
- UEFA Champions League: 18 games
- UEFA Europa League: 10 games
- DFB Pokal: 9 games