We face Arminia Bielefeld on matchday 26! It’s only the second time that we will be making the trip to Bielefeld. In our promotion season of 2015/16, we won 1-0 at the Schüco-Arena to take home the three points. We can look back on that happy memory ahead of Friday’s fixture (kick-off at 20.30 CET).
Ahead of the match, head coach Julian Nagelsmann gave a virtual press conference to discuss the game, his personal history with Frank Kramer and the current personnel situation.
Julian Nagelsmann on...
...opponents Arminia Bielefeld:
- “They have played unbelievably aggressively under Frank Cromer of late. They have defended high and beat Leverkusen with the strength of their running. That serves as a warning for us.
In the first game this season, they already caused us a few problems and we were lucky not to fall behind. This game is about three important points so it doesn’t make sense to underestimate them. That’s something we absolutely will not do. It’s about giving everything on Friday evening.”
...Bielefeld boss Frank Kramer:
- “I know him already from Hoffenheim. There are things he does differently in comparison with Uwe Neuhaus, but there are also lots of things that he has taken on board. He’s had a hand all along in their current success.
Under Kramer, Bielefeld have a good approach with the ball. They want to find solutions in all phases of play and they want to move towards the opposition goal sensibly and intelligently. You’ve seen that in recent games and it has been very impressive.”
...players departing for international duty:
- “There is still no final list. We are looking for individual solutions for all of our selected players. But we won’t send any players to high-risk areas, or areas where there is a mutation of the virus, if it will force them to enter quarantine upon their return.”
Keep warm with RBL gear!
...competition among the squad:
- "We’ve always been at a high level as a team and the competition for places is good too. Overall we have rotated a lot this season. I think we’ve always done well to keep all of the players happy. The atmosphere and the focus are good and have been great recently. The XI that trains best and fits best is the XI that will play.”
...the condition of Konrad Laimer:
- "As it stands, he should return to team training in the middle of April. Then we’ll have to see how fit he is. We know that if he reaches his top level then he is a player of huge quality. Depending on how the season goes, it is of course possible that he will return to match action. But it has to fit between what the player wants and what the team needs. The most important thing is still that he gets back to being fully healthy.”
+++ Squad update +++
- Dayot Upamecano suffered a muscle strain in the game against Eintracht Frankfurt and will miss 10 to 14 days.
- Angeliño's return will have to wait until after the international break. The Spaniard is currently sidelined with a muscle issue.
- Konrad Laimer is making good progress after his knee injury and has been able to train individually with the ball again this week.
- Willi Orban, Kevin Kampl and Nordi Mukiele are just one yellow card away from being suspended for the following game against Bayern Munich.