Coach Julian Nagelsmann:
- “It wasn’t so easy today so of course we are pleased that we won. In the end we are really happy with the points we gained. After their win against Bayer Leverkusen last match, we were aware of how dangerous Bielefeld can be. They defended deep, as we expected. We always had the game in our grasp but without any great fireworks. We showed the necessary patience.
Our preparations for the big showdown against Bayern Munich will be interrupted because some players are away on international duty. I will give the players who are staying in Leipzig a chance to rest, giving them a few days off starting on Thursday.
I expect that will go into the game with the necessary courage and intelligence. We want to keep the league interesting.”
- "That was a tough game, but we did well and kept trying to find answers in the final third. We created a few nice goalscoring opportunities. It did us some good to score straight after the restart, and it was important for the game too. That calmed us down.
It’s not easy to come here and win. Bielefeld were up for it, they defended deep, as usual, and pretty well. The only important thing was to win and we did that. I am really pleased with the team's performance. It’s certainly not a bad thing to put a bit of pressure on the leaders.”
Goalscorer Marcel Sabitzer:
- “The pitch conditions weren’t the best today. We tried to deal with that by playing an intense passing game. The main thing was to win the game and put the pressure on. We managed that. In the second half we wanted to set up with more width and find routes in behind. That worked perfectly for my goal shortly after the restart.”
Sporting director Markus Krösche:
- "Bielefeld defended with passion and didn’t make it easy for us. But we were the dominant team and deserved to win. It has to be said that we made it unnecessarily close tonight and we should have finished it off earlier in the second half. It’s important that we do our jobs and prepare properly. We did that today."
- "You always have a lot to do in the Bundesliga. To be on the ball so much like I was today wasn’t something I was expecting. It was quite unusual. Arminia defended very deep, so we had most of the game. In the first half, we weren’t clever enough, but that changed after the break. Also partly because the coach found the right words at half time."