13th January 2017 – we proudly present: Dayot Upamecano. On this day four years ago, Dayot joined the club from FC Red Bull Salzburg and has since come on to be a top talent and world-class defender.
To mark the occasion, we've collected a few facts about Upa.
- Dayot wore the number 17 shirt during his first six months at Leipzig before switching to number 5, which he still wears today.
- His transfer to Leipzig was made official on Friday the 13th.
- Upa made his RBL debut as a 66th-minute substitute on 4th February 2017 in front of 80,000 spectators in a 1-0 loss in Dortmund.
- His first goal for the club came almost a year to the day after signing: On 9th February 2018, Upa openeed the scoring in a 2-0 win over Augsburg.
- Three of Upa's four RBL goals came with his right foot and one with his head - all four were in the Bundesliga.
- Two of his four goals came against Hertha BSC.
- Upa was the first of five French players to play for RB Leipzig.
- In 134 games, Upa has picked up 26 yellow cards and two red cards.
- The 22 year old made his full international debut for France on 5th September 2020. The opponent? Emil Forsberg and Sweden.
- In his second international, Dayot scored his first goal. Upa scored a header in a 4-2 victory over Croatia.
- Upa received his first ever football as a gift from his father, Verissimo, when he was three years old.
- Upa's parents are from Guinea-Bissau. He was born in Évreux, France.
- Ousmane Dembélé (FC Barcelona) and Upa both played youth football for FC Évreux, with Dembélé in the age group above.