Mission Champions League - Episode II! On Wednesday night, Die Roten Bullen face French giants Olympique Lyon in their first UEFA Champions League home game of the season. Julian Nagelsmann and Ibrahima Konaté spoke about the challenge that lies ahead.
Coach Julian Nagelsmann:
- "There are a lot of similiarities to last season in Lyon's game, but obviously a lot has changed as well. Lyon have acquired a few players, however, they've also lost some important players.
It's always dangerous when a team plays with their backs to the wall. They have some fantastic individuals with great potential. It all depends on us going into the game with the right attitude and level of aggression. We need to be prepared for different scenarios and we need to hurt the opposition.
Memphis Depay is very difficult to defend against when he's got space to run into. He's very creative and likes to take players on. The aim is to take him out of the game before he gets chance to be on the ball.
The team have dealt with the defeat against Schalke well, so it will have no bearing on tomorrow's game. It would be silly to let our first loss throw us off track."
- "Lyon are a team that can cause real problems for many other teams in Europe. They have a lot of quality players, so we will have to be very careful and alert.
In our first two seasons I don't think we were used to playing internationally on top of the league and the cup. We've learned a lot since then, especially about what it takes to recover in time for the next game. The whole team has improved a lot."
- It is uncertain whether Patrik Schick will play.
- Tyler Adams, Kevin Kampl and Hannes Wolf remain unavailable.
- Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz from Spain will be the referee