The winter break is fast approaching and up next for the Bulls is an encounter with TSG Hoffenheim at home. Julian Nagelsmann's men will be hoping to secure all three points and put league leaders Gladbach, who face FC Bayern this weekend, under pressure or potentially even overtake them.
The head coach held a press conference before this clash with his former club and spoke about the upcoming game and his squad's fitness.
Head Coach Julian Nagelsmann:
- "It's obviously a special game for me but when you spend nine years at a club before facing them as an opponent that's just a given. Nevertheless, our preparations remain the same. Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing some of my old colleagues but, when it comes to the game, I absolutely want to win!
I have the advantage of knowing the strengths and weaknesses of some of their players but it won't help us much because things have chnaged there. It's a completely different situation now - I have a new team and they have a new manager, who has developed their play in his own way. For example, they're now more controlled and cautious going forward and don't defend as high up the pitch anymore.
Doing a lot of running doesn't always mean you're playing well. Sometimes it just means you're chasing. It is, however, a sign that the team are ready to put in the effort, even after playing so many matches recently. What you do with the ball is far more important than just keeping it. We have a good chance to goal conversion rate, whether it comes from long build-up play or a quick counterattack. We just need to work on our set pieces now. We need to pose more of a threat with those. We want to be one of the top teams in the league for set pieces as well!"
- Dayot Upamecano is a doubt for Saturday due to a knee problem.
- Yussuf Poulsen and Marcel Halstenberg have returned to team training.
- Péter Gulácsi is fit to play again.
- Tyler Adams and Hannes Wolf are back in training but need more work before they're match ready. They will be included in the matchday squad in the event of further injuries in the team.