Mission Champions League! The Roten Bullen will face the Portuguese record champions on Tuesday (21:00 CEST) on matchday one of the new Champions League season.
Julian Nagelsmann and Willi Orban attended the pre-match press conference.
Coach Julian Nagelsmann:
- "We've come up with an idea and some other options that will hopefully work. We want to use the momentum from the second half of the Bayer game. Our goal is clear: we want to win and have a good start to the group stage.
Benfica are a big club in Portugal and Europe. They are a good team with a range of offensive players that are hard to stop. They push forward with their wingers and create a lot of chances with their crosses. We want to show that we are better than Benfica and that we can win fairly. A group-stage win is very important, especially as there's only six games.All the players that have travelled are 100% fit. We don't know yet who will start the game. We are really excited ahead of this game."
Captain Willi Orban:
- "We are massively excited. We fought through 34 games last season to be back in the Champions League. Now we want to enjoy it - it's a big adventure for us with some special games. We want to give a good account of ourselves and progress further." Benfica are a good team with a lot of potential and a clear plan. It will be a close game in a great stadium against a team who have a lot of attacking quality. If we can get into the game, I am convinced that we can get a positive result. That's our goal.Benfica is a big name across Europe. We respect them, but are confident. We have to make sure that we are clever with the way we play. We have improved on this in recent times."
- Dayot Upamecano is fit again and will make the squad for the first time this season.
- Patrik Schick hasn't travelled to Lisbon as he looks to recover from an ankle problem.
- Tyler Adams, Kevin Kampl and Hannes Wolf are still all out.
- Referee is Anastásios Sidirópoulos (Greece)