RB Leipzig have completed the transfer of Dani Olmo from Dinamo Zagreb. The 21-year-old Spaniard joins immediately, having signed a contract until 2024. He will wear the number 25 for Die Roten Bullen.
Dani Olmo is considered one of Europe's star midfield talents, with his incredible technical ability making him a versatile attacking option too. He will not feature in the matchday squad against Frankfurt this weekend, but is set to take part in his first team training session on Monday.
Daniel Olmo Carvajal, to give him his full name, joined FC Barcelona's youth academy in 2007. Learning his trade at the world-famous La Masia, Olmo then left for the Dinamo Zagreb reserves in summer 2014. He made the step up to the first team just six months later. He is a four-time Croation league winner and three-time cup winner with Dinamo, also featuring in the Champions League and the Europa League.
Born in the Catalan city of Terrassa, the right-footed midfielder has worked his way through the Spain youth setup, going on to lift the European U21 Championship in 2019. His Spain side beat a Germany team that featured Lukas Klostermann in the final, with Olmo scoring the second Spanish goal in a 2-1. win. He is currently captain of the U21s, but made his debut for the senior national team in November in a European qualifier against Malta, scoring a goal to boot.
Welcome to Leipzig, Dani!
- "I have of course seen the brilliant journey RB Leipzig have been on in recent years. They are a young, attractive club that really convinced me with their philosophy to develop and put their trust in young talents.
I can't wait to meet the team as soon as possible and take to the pitch with my new teammates. I hope to bring my own strengths to the table to help the club continue their successful journey."
- "We're delighted to have convinced Dani to that we are the right place for him to take the next step despite a lot of interest from top clubs. He's a very skilled player - both brilliant technically and deadly in front of goal. With his ability in possession, he gives the team more versatility and quality in attack.
He's also only 21 years old, so he still has a lot of developing to do yet. I'm convinced that Dani fits in perfectly at the club and we will get a lot of joy out of having him here."
- Name: Daniel Olmo Carvajal
- Date of birth: 7th May 1998 in Terrassa (Spain)
- Age: 21 years
- Nationality: Spanish
- Preferred foot: right
- Height: 1.79 metres
- Position: Attacking midfield
- since 01/2020: RB Leipzig
- 01/2015 to 01/2020: Dinamo Zagreb
- 07/2014 to 01/2015: Dinamo Zagreb II
- 07/2007 to 06/2014: FC Barcelona (youth)
- Until 06/2007: Espanyol (youth)
RECORD AND HONOURS:
- 1. HNL (Croatian first division): 80 games | 20 goals | 18 assists
- 2. HNL (Croatian second division): 25 games | 3 goals
- Hrvatski nogometni Kup (Croatian Cup): 15 games | 6 goals
- UEFA Champions League: 6 games | 2 goals | 1 assist
- UEFA Champions League qualifying: 11 games | 4 goals | 5 assists
- UEFA Europa League: 10 games | 2 goals | 4 assists
- UEFA Europa League qualifying: 2 games
- UEFA Youth League: 12 games | 1 goal
- Spain senior national team: 1 cap | 1 goal
- Spain U21s: 14 caps | 6 goals | 3 assists
- European U21 Champion (2019)
- Croatian league winner (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
- Croatian Cup winner (2015, 2016, 2018)