New signing! Our newest forward Dani Olmo was officially unveiled in a press conference with sporting director Markus Krösche today.
Dani Olmo on ...
... choosing Leipzig:
- "Leipzig's sporting vision convinced me to join. The way young players are looked after here seemed best for my career. There's a great deal of ambition and heart here."
... the team and his role:
- "I want to integrate into the team as quickly as possible and understand the coach and his philosophy. I then went to help the team as soon as I can. The guys have given me a really nice welcome. It's obviously tough at the start of a week following a defeat but everyone seemed to be really motivated.
I'm comfortbale playing in any forward position but I'm happiest playing as a 10 just behind the strikers. Of course, I'm very much looking forward to playing with Timo Werner. He's a great striker who's already scored a lot of goals this season and I want to help him score even more."
... the Bundesliga:
- "I've always admired the Bundesliga. There were offers from Italy and Spain but after hearing from Markus Krösche about how we can grow together, I was convinced and didn't need long to consider the offer. It quickly became clear that this was the right club for me. There are a lot of differences between the Croatian league and the Bundesliga. The Bundesliga is one of the best leagues in the world. It's a big step up and a real challenge for me in my career."
- "We're delighted to have Dani with us. We're expecting him to bring some quality to the team and help us to achieve our goals. He's capable of deciding games and can make the difference at a high level. The transfer shows that we can attract new signings with the way we work with young players. We allow them to take the next step. It's a good sign that a player of Dani's ability chose us.
- We've been interested in Dani for a while and we've been following his games, especially in Europe and internationally. He was impressice in the Champions League and the U21 European Championship. Then we spoke with him and his advisors and they made their decision. They felt that we would be best for Dani's development.
- Before you can show your quality out on the pitch, you need to have the right mentality. That's one of Dani's strengths. He has clear aims and offers us something new, especially when we're up against opposition teams that sit deep. He wants to improve as a player and help us to achieve our goals. He can help us and we can help him."