Upa is staying! Centre half Dayot Upamecano has signed a contract extension at RB Leipzig, with his new deal now running until Juni 2023.
The France U21 international joined Leipzig in January 2017 from Red Bull Salzburg and quickly established himself as a key player.
The 21-year-old has played 111 times for RB Leipzig (3 goals) and has played his part in the club qualifiying for the UEFA Champions League on three occasions (2017, 2019 and 2020). As well as that, Upa and the Bulls reached the DFB-Pokal final in 2019 and the quarterfinals of the Champions League in 2020.
Sporting director Markus Krösche:
- "We are obviously pleased that Dayot Upamecano has signed an early contract extension. Dayot has become a top defender at RB Leipzig over the past few years and can still develop at the age of just 21. It's great that he will continue to grow as a player here with us.
We have managed to retain the services of one of our most important players, who is a key figure for the club and also plays the way we want to as a team."
- "I feel right at home here in Leipzig - the overall package is perfect. We had good conversations with Oliver Mintzlaff, Markus Krösche and Julian Nagelsmann, which showed to me that extending my contract was the right decision for me to make.
Our young and hungry team is part of an ambitious club. I want to take the next step with Leipzig and reach our aims, because I'm convinced by the way we play our football.
I have been in Leipzig for over three years and I have continued to improve alongside the team's development. I want to carry on developing personally, and I think Julian Nagelsmann is a coach that can bring me to the next level."
- Date of birth: 27zOktober 1998 (in Évreux, France)
- Age: 21
- Nationality: French
- Shirt number: 5
- Height: 1,86m
- Position: Centre Back
- Overall: 111 games | 3 goals | 2 assists
- Bundesliga: 83 games | 3 goals | 2 assists
- UEFA Champions League: 11 games
- UEFA Europa League: 10 games
- DFB-Pokal: 7 games
- Internationals: 15 (France U21s)