Coach Julian Nagelsmann on...
...the season opener:
- "The season opener is always special and I’m looking forward to the game on Sunday, but of course there’s always plenty of pressure before a knockout game.
Osnabrück have given a good account of themselves in their first few league games and have varied their tactics to suit each individual match. And if I know VfL coach Daniel Thioune, he will also try and switch it up against us, to put onus on their pressing game, but also sit back at times and prey on our mistakes. It will be important that we also use Osnabrück’s fatigue to our advantage."
- "We have made big progress in our preparation but we’re far from where we want to be. Counterattacks, for example - we haven’t played consistently enough yet to fully implement this into our system. Also, we still lack a certain clinical edge in front of goal.
Overall, I’m looking for more goal contributions from our midfield, because for me it’s extremely important to spread the responsibility of scoring goals.
- Willi Orban (muscular problem) and Matheus Cunha (slight concussion) have trained again and are an option for Sunday.
- Tyler Adams has already been partially integrated in team training, but will still be out for Sunday due to his adductor problems.
- Kevin Kampl (ankle) is expected to be out on Sunday.
- Dayot Upamecano, Ethan Ampadu and Marcel Halstenberg are currently struggling with muscular problems. For all three players, it will not be decided until after the final training on Saturday whether they travel to Osnabrück.
- Emil Forsberg is currently unable to train for more than 90 minutes at a time due to his Achilles tendon complaints that affect his calf and so further individual training is required.
- The referee for the game is Tobias Stieler of Hamburg.