The biggest game in the history of the club is right around the corner!
The evening before the long-awaited Champions League quarter final against Atlético Madrid, our head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke about tomorrow's opponents and potential tactics at UEFA'S official press conference.
Our number 1 Péter Gulácsi also faced the media.
Julian Nagelsmann on ...
... the opposition:
- "Against Atlético we have to be courageous and concentrate on the substantive aspects. Because of the format of the tournament, there will only be one game between the two sides so we can't go about things as tactically as we usually would. However, Atleti don't have experience with this format either.
Of course, Atlético have more experienced players, and above all a more exprienced coach than us, but that won't matter as much on Thursday."
... changes because of the Coronavirus:
- "There certainly won't be any significant changes for Atlético. Diego Simeone has a clear philosophy and a well-defined style. With regard to these two things, nothing will change.
Atlético are a great team who play great, high-tempo football. The game will be a huge challenge for us but I'm confinced that we will have a good game."
... Marcel Halstenberg and Patrik Schick:
- "They have both shown positive signs in the 11-vs-11 sessions. If they start the game we will have to monitor whether they are capable of playing the full 90 minutes."
... the potential tactics:
- "With two good attackers, you have two outlet players, both in the air and on the ground. This can be very important against a side like Atlético, who are strong in duels. With a system like that you can not only offer a lot of crosses from wide, but also passes into the area.
A sytem without a defined centre forward can be effective with a higher tempo and a lot of deep runs.
I haven't decided on the system yet. I will make a decision based on my final impressions from training."
Péter Gulácsi on ...
... the general feelings:
- "Tomorrow's game is a very important one for us all. We have a lot of players in this squad who have been here for four, five years now, and have been on this journey since the start.
We have a lot of self-confidence in the way we play. I hope that we can show that tomorrow."
... the quality in the team:
- "There is enormous quality in our squad. After Timo Werner's transfer, there is now an opportunity for one or two others to step up. Therefore, I'm sure that we can continue to be just as dangerous in attack."