The boys are back at Cottaweg! After a three-week break, the Bulls returned to training on Wednesday. Head coach Julian Nagelsmann spoke to the media after the session about the summer break, the first training session and the new schedule.
Julian Nagelsmann on...
... his summer break without any football:
- "The three weeks off obviously weren't very exuberant. I'm lucky to have a wonderful job though, where I am outside a lot and I can expierence many things. It can take a lot of energy out of you, but also give a lot back. I'm really motivated for the restart now."
... the first training session:
- "It was really good. The lads were full of beans, fresh and ready to go, so I was really pleased with our return to the training ground. Even if a few players like Patrik Schick, Yussuf Poulsen and Marcel Sabitzer were only able to train in parts and Marcel Halstenberg, Ibrahima Konaté and Hee-chan Hwang unfortunately weren't there at all."
… new signing Benjamin Henrichs:
- "Benny has a lot of qualities. He can play as a defensive midfielder as well as a full-back, so he gives us more flexibility. Despite being just 23, he has a lot of expierence to his name which will help the team. He is happy to take a leading role in the team, which is what I expect him to do and he showed he was willing to do that in training."
… the upcoming workload for the players:
- "The players' workloads will be very extreme. As a young team, we need a lot of training sessions to develop, however we won't have that much time due to the number of games in such a short space of time. It is essential that we work with the players on an individual basis to help develop them. Everybody needs to play their part. It will be tough to find days off for the players, but we will have to work something out."
... the attack after Werner's departure:
- "We have a number of attackers who are dangerous in front of goal. We also have a few players who haven't played that much and could spring a surprise. We have - as long as Yussi and Patrik are fit for the Champions League tournament - the potential to play with two proper centre forwards up front. We could also play with a number of lively midfielders. We will need to see what we learn from training and judge that."