Fan questions in safe hands. For five years, Péter Gulácsi has been RB Leipzig's number 1. With spectacular saves, a commanding presence and a cool temperament, he has become one of the world's top 'keepers and firmly lodged himself in the hearts of RBL fans everywhere. In a press conference with the fans, 'Big Pete' answered questions submitted by supporters.
He gave answers on which Leipzig outfield player would do best in goal, who he thinks is the best 'keeper in the world and why his son should play up front.
Péter Gulácsi on ...
… His love for Leipzig:
- "We've been in Leipzig for five years and are very happy. We live just outside the city and love nature. We can enjoy the beautiful weather in our garden right now. We can imagine ourselves staying here for longer."
… his best save in a Leipzig shirt:
- "The toughest save was the one last season in the 0-0 draw at home to Augsburg. Michael Gregoritsch took a free kick from the centre of the pitch. I made the save and directed it away from the Augsburg player on the back post. I made some good saves in the game against Bayern too."
… being named as one of the world's best 'keepers:
- "I'm proud and very happy. There are a lot of good goalies out there, and to be among the top ten is really nice. We're a top team in Germany and are up there internationally. That's how I've garnered this attention. I'm in the form of my life right now and hope that we start playing again soon so that I can improve even more."
… the best goalkeepers in the world:
- "In my opinion, Jan Oblak and Alisson are the two best 'keepers. It's great to see what Alisson has been doing this season and last. Jan Oblak has been the best goalies on the line, and Manuel Neuer has been in another level for 10 or so years. Manuel Neuer has been the best goalkeeper over a longer period of time."
… his highlight with RB Leipzig:
- "In recent years, I've experienced a lot with this club. Promotion to the Bundesliga, the DFB-Pokal final, third place last season. But the Round of 16 in the Champions League was the biggest moment in the club's history so far, and is unforgettable for us as players. To beat last year's finalists so comfortably is really impressive."
… the best goalie among RBL's outfield players:
- "You might think that the biggest would be the best, but that's not the case. I hope that it never has to be this way, but I'd put Lukas Klostermann or Marcel Halstenberg in goal. If we're talking about confidence, an attacking player like Timo Werner would be better. They think it's the easiest job on the pitch."
… his favourite club as a child:
- "I was an Arsenal fan for a short while, because I went to see a game at Highbury with my dad. Back then, Arsenal were still on of the best teams in the world. Since playing for Liverpool, my favourite team in England has changed. When you spend six years at a club like Liverpool, you stay connected."
… an eventual goalkeeping career for his son:
- "On one hand, I really hope that he becomes a goalie, because I can help him a lot. On the other hand, it would be a bit nervy for him to think his dad was a goalkeeper and thinks he knows better. He'll have a much easier life as a striker and can enjoy the game more."