The Champions League is back! UEFA have decided to restart and complete the 2019/20 season with a final tournament format in Lisbon. From 12th August, the quarterfinals will begin with the winner of each being decided after just one game, as opposed to the familar two-legged home and away system.
Our opponents for the quarterfinals will be Atlético Madrid. The Spanish capital city side reached the quarters after beating current title-holders Liverpool.
On Thursday, 9th July, UEFA announced that the four remaining Last 16 return leg ties can indeed be played at their respective home team's grounds. UEFA had initially left this decision open, but following an extraordinary meeting of UEFA's executive committee, it was confirmed that the games will be played behind closed doors in Turin, Manchester, Munich and Barcelona.
The other quarterfinal ties:
Manchester City / Real Madrid - Juventus / Olympique Lyon
FC Barcelona / SSC Napoli - FC Bayern München / Chelsea FC
Atalanta - Paris Saint-Germain
- Our quarterfinal match will take place between 12th and 15th August, with the semi-finals scheduled for 18th and 19th August.
- There will be no seedings for the tournament. Additionally, clubs from the same nation can be drawn against one another.
- The remaining matches will kick-off at 21:00 CEST.
- The Champions League final will take place on 23rd August at the Estadio da Luiz.
- Any potential new signings will not be permitted to play in the final tournament. However, every team has the option to register an additional three players.
An overview of the tournament schedule:
7th - 8th August: Remaining round of 16 second leg matches
12th - 15th August: Quarterfinals (Lisbon)
18th - 19th August: Semi-finals (Lisbon)
23th August: Final (Estadio da Luiz, Lisbon)