New signing Benny Henrichs answered questions from the media about his first days in Leipzig, what factored into his decision to join the Bulls and why he decided to go blonde.
Benjamin Henrichs on...
- "I had been trying to come to Leipzig for a while, and am very happy that it's finally worked out. This is the best possible next step for me.
I followed what was happening here over the course of several seasons with young squads delivering strong performances in the league. The manner in which RB Leipzig play fits very well to my own style of play and my skillset. There's a lot of emphasis on pressing hard, which will be especially relevant for my position. Julian Nagelsmann also always tries to play our way out of trouble, instead of just sending the ball long - which suits me perfectly."
…his first impressions of RB Leipzig:
- "RB Leipzig are the most professional club that I've been able to experience in my career as a professional. From the infrastructure to the catering. The environment here is great, and has allowed me to get off to the perfect start."
...his new teammates:
- "I knew several of the lads on the team already. I played with Kevin Kampl at Bayer 04 Leverkusen while Markus Krösche was our assistant coach. Lukas Klostermann and I played for the Germany youth teams. I've also been friends with Konrad Laimer and Christo Nkunku for a few years now."
...his time at Monaco:
- "I can speak French now. The two years I spent there also helped me grow mentally. On the pitch, it wasn't always easy. We fought to avoid relegation and I didn't always play. That helped me grow and I now know that things don't always go your way in football.
I think that I've been able to amass plenty of experience already, despite being just 23 years old. Regardless of whether it was from our relegation battle at Monaco or my positive experiences in the Champions League, at the U21 EUROs or at the Confederation Cup. I want to bring this experience to the pitch and help the lads here."
...the Champions League tournament:
- "Of course it would have been cool to go straight into playing in a Champions League quarterfinal after the enforced break. But, that's not possible. You can feel that the players are all thinking about the tournament. Even the training sessions are focused on that. Even if I'm not allowed to take part, I am still trying to support the boys as best as I can and to push them."
...what he hopes to accomplish at RBL:
- "Last season proved how difficult it is to compete for a spot in the top three. We want to have the perfect season and to win as many games as possible. Then, we will see how far that gets us."
- "My current hairstyle wasn't inspired by anyone. I had always wanted to go blonde and had a lot of time on my hands during the enforced break. I think it turned out pretty nice and looks good."