European opener against Salzburg! On Thursday (21:00 CEST), die Roten Bullen face FC Salzburg in the RB-Arena. The opening game of the Europa League Group stage against the Austrian outfit should be a successful one.
Before the upcoming match-up, head coach Ralf Rangnick and forward Marcel Sabitzer discuss the opposition and squad situation.
“Both teams tomorrow will be, in some ways, playing a match against themselves. Both sides have a very similar style of play and the game will definitely depend on who can get control of the game with their play. We have to be smart and approach the game with aggression, intensity and a necessary effectiveness.
Salzburg has a number of outstanding players in its squad. They have been playing together as a team for some time now and tomorrow they are in a position where they have nothing to lose.
I know the coach Marco Rose as a player and as a person. During my time as Salzburg sporting director, we brought him in as a youth coach. It was clear then that Marco had what it takes to become and outstanding coach. He has shown that with the success he’s had in the Youth League and now also with the first team.”
- “It’s a special game for me. I’m really looking forward to it because I’ll get to see a lot of familiar faces. Nevertheless, we need to make sure we get the three points. We know that we are going to face a top team. At the end of the day, it will be important for us to be effective on the pitch.After a long time out with injury, it will take time to get back into the rhythm of the team. It gets easier with every game. Physically, I’m back to a very good level. I’m really looking forward to every minute on the pitch and want to give back the trust that has been invested in me."
- Timo Werner is not available for the match against Salzburg due to issues with adductor muscles.
- Marcelo Saracchi out due to muscle problems.
- Lukas Klostermann unavailable because of a knee issue.
- Marcel Halstenberg returns to the squad on Thursday.