On the last day of the transfer window, RB Leipzig welcome another new signing to the club: Kevin Kampl has signed from Bayer Leverkusen on a four-year contract that will keep him at the club until 2021. He will wear the number 44 for Die Roten Bullen.
The 26-year-old Slovenia international came to the Bundesliga from FC Red Bull Salzburg in the summer of 2014 and has made 67 appearances for Borussia Dortmund and Bayer 04 Leverkusen, getting four goals and seven assists in that time.
Kampl brings a combination of European experience, making 14 Champions League appearances (2 goals, 4 assists) and 28 Europa League appearances (7 goals, 10 assists). With Salzburg as well, he won the Austrian double in 2014 and 2015 by winning both the cup and league.
“I’m extremely happy that our efforts to sign Kevin have paid off and that we can now get to work together. I heavily pursued him when he left RB Salzburg, but unfortunately it wasn’t in Kevin’s best interest to sign at that time. He is completely fit, participated in all of Lverkusen’s preseason activities, and will join the team for training on Monday.
"At 26 years of age, Kevin Kampl is a little older than all of the other new signings, but he already is very familiar with our philosophy and so shouldn’t need very much time to settle. He doesn’t have to learn a new language or anything, and he also knows a few other players from earlier in his career.
"Apart from his attacking capabilities, I’m a big fan of the way he can create things in the game. He’ll therefore fit perfectly into our style of play, which is often a form of organised chaos. He brings the type of qualities that will help him meet the demands of our game.”
“I’ve met Kevin Kampl briefly before in Aalen, where he was in the spotlight for a short time. I’m certain that he can help us enormously, because he knows where he needs to be on the pitch at all times.
"With his ability to win the ball back, Kevin will be able to make things difficult for his opponents. With his presence in front of goal, his pace and his ability with the ball, he brings all the attributes that we’re looking for.
"Ralf Rangnick and his team have done an amazing job this summer. We’re now very well stocked at all positions, and we can dive into the upcoming games head on.”
“I’m really happy that the move to Leipzig has gone through. The framework I need to develop further as a footballer is in place here. I’m looking forward to getting settled here and getting on to the pitch with the boys. There’s a very tight-knit atmosphere here, and everyone seems very close. I need that to take the next step as a player.
"In Salzburg, I mainly played the number 10 role and I think I suit it well. I can play a more defensive role too if needed. My strength is coming into the final third and making the killer pass.
"I want to get better; I don’t think I’ve reached my potential just yet. I’m thankful to Leverkusen for the last two years and for allowing me to continue my career at Leipzig."
- Date of birth: 9th October 1990 in Solingen (Germany)
- Age: 26
- Nationality: Slovenian
- Preferred foot: Right
- Height: 1.78 metres
- Position: Midfielder
- 08/2015 until 08/2017: Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- 01/2015 until 08/2015: Borussia Dortmund
- 08/2012 until 01/2015: FC Red Bull Salzburg
- 07/2012 until 08/2012: VfR Aalen
- 07/2011 until 07/2012: VfL Osnabrück
- 01/2011 until 07/2011: Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- 08/2010 until 01/2011: Greuther Fürth
- until 08/2010: Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- Youth teams: VfB Solingen (1994-1997), Bayer Leverkusen (1997-2009)
- Bundesliga: 30 games | 1 goal | 2 assists | 2358 minutes played
- Champions League: 7 games | 1 goal | 2 assists | 624 minutes played
- DFB Pokal: 2 games | 210 minutes played
- 25 appearances for Slovenia | 2 goals | 3 assists
- 2x Austrian champion (2014, 2015), 2x Austrian Cup winner (2014, 2015), Slovenia’s Footballer of the Year in 2013