A milestone goal and another three points! It was the perfect evening at the Red Bull Arena, as 34,486 spectators saw Die Roten Bullen beat FC Augsburg 2-0, including the 100th Leipzig goal scored in the Bundesliga, to move up to second place in the table overnight.
Augsburg were coming off the back of a strong win over Eintracht Frankfurt, but their away form has lacked of late and they sat very deep in the early stages. RB Leipzig duly took control of proceedings and their pressure told in the 17th minute. Yussuf Poulsen fired a shot on target with a very acrobatic effort and the parry from Marwin Hitz was tucked away by the lurking Dayot Upamecano to make it 100 Bundesliga goals for RBL, with his very first in the top flight.
The first half didn't explode into the life after the opener, but the second 45 did provide a bit more goalmouth action. Timo Werner and Bruma both failed to take advantages of golden chances, but a stroke of luck handed RBL their second goal. Naby Keïta stepped up to a free-kick in the 70th minute and was able to beat Hitz with a big deflection off the Augsburg wall to make it 2-0. Kevin Kampl nearly made it three with a free-kick of his own moments later, but was denied by the crossbar. However, no further goals were required as Die Roten Bullen comfortably saw out the win to make it six points from two games.
- Ralph Hasenhüttl made two changes to his starting XI. Yussuf Poulsen and Stefan Ilsanker came in for Diego Demme and Marcel Sabitzer, who missed out on the squad with a cold.
- Dayot Upamecano's opener was his first goal for RB Leipzig.
- It was also the 100th Bundesliga goal in the club's history.
- Naby Keïta netted his fourth league goal of the season.
- Péter Gulácsi kept a clean sheet for the second game in succession.