Quarter final time for Leipzig in the Europa League! This Thursday at 21:05 CEST, Die Roten Bullen take on France's Olympique Marseille in the RB-Arena.
Head coach Ralph Hasenhüttl and defender Ibrahima Konaté spoke to the press about the opposition and the current status of the squad.
- "Olympique Marseille are a very good side who are a solid unit defensively. The team do the simple things right and go from there. I'm anticipating a tough and tactical battle. For us, it's all about getting a result which means we put ourselves in a good position to go through ahead of the second leg. We want to go as far as we possibly can in this competition.
We have to work hard without the ball, create chances and make the most of them. We haven't managed it yet in Europe but we're aiming to keep a clean sheet. It'll be a very tough task but we can do it tigether.
I'm delighted about the development and progression of Ibrahima Konaté and Dayot Upamecano. Experiences like playing against top teams in the Bundesliga and featuring in the quarter-final stages of the Europa League are invaluable for a young player's development. Both players have bright futures ahead of them. At the moment, I'd say the sky is the limit for them."
- "Marseille are a great team with players like Luiz Gustavo and Dimitri Payet who have a lot of experience. However, we've done our homework so we know the challenge that lies ahead. We have to be focused and work together out on the pitch.
We want the home game to be as successful as possible as it won't be easy heading to the Stade Vélodrome won't be easy in the second leg. On Thursday, we'll have the fans behind us at the RB-Arena and that'll be a big help. We're aware how hard this game will be but we want to play our own game and get a positive result."
- Stefan Ilsanker misses out due to a knee strain.
- Willi Orban is suspended.
- Ademola Lookman is ineligible as he featured for Everton earlier this season in the Europa League.
- Yussuf Poulsen, Marcel Sabitzer and Jean-Kévin Augustin will miss the second leg if they pick up a booking in Thursday's game.
- Referee: Alberto Undiano Mallenco