Great news! RB Leipzig have extended Marcel Halstenberg's contract until June 2022! The defender was previously under contract until 2020 and so will stay for a further two years.
The 26-year-old came to Leipzig in the summer of 2015 from FC St. Pauli and earned himself a regular place straight away.
National coach Joachim Löw was also impressed with his quality and handed him his Die Mannschaft debut in 2017.
In January 2018, Marcel tore his ACL in his left-knee. He underwent a successful operation and is now in rehab but will be out for several more months.
We're looking forward to having you back soon, Halste!
Sporting director Ralf Rangnick:
- "Marcel has been with us from 2. Bundesliga right up to the Champions League. He has steadily improved and up until his injury was a key part of the squad. We are pleased that we have extended his contract in good time."
- "I'm really glad that the team is supporting me through this difficult time and have extend my contract for two more yerars. I feel great here. I'm really looking forward to the challenges ahead and being a part of the team going forward.
"Of course, I will give it my all to be back on the pitch as soon as possible but above all, I need to be patient."
- D.O.B.: 27th September 1991
- Age: 26
- Nationality: German
- Strong foot: right
- Height: 6"1'
- Position: defence
- 45 Bundesliga appearances | 2 goals | 5 assists
- 24 2. Bundesliga appearances | 2 goals | 4 assists
- 4 DFB-Pokal appearances6 Champions League appearances | 1 assist
- In total:
79 games | 4 goals | 10 assists
Promotion to 1. Bundesliga in 2016, second-place in 2017