Die Roten Bullen are coming up against the record cup winners, FC Bayern, on Wednesday October 25th. RBL are playing at home in a sold-out Red Bull Arena.
Bayern's cup history
FCB have played in 39 cup finals, winning 18 and losing 21, putting them streets ahead on the top of the rankings. The club also hold the record for the most goals scored by a single player. Gerd Müller scored 63 goals in 56 cup matches, 28 more than second-best, Dieter Müller.
Last season, Munich got knocked out 3-2 by Dortmund in the semi-final, meaning their last game in the past four seasons has come against BVB. Bayern won two of those, BVB the other two.
Bayern swept past Chemnitzer FC in the first round of the DFB-Pokal this season, winning 5-0.
Bayern's cup record in the past threee years:
- 2016/17: semi-final | Borussia Dortmund 2-3 FC Bayern
- 2015/16: winners | FC Bayern 4-3 Borussia Dortmund (a.e.t.)
- 2014/15: semi-final | Borussia Dortmund 3-1 FC Bayern (a.e.t.)
Joshua Kimmich back at the Red Bull Arena
Joshua Kimmich made 53 appearances for Die Roten Bullen between 2013 and 2015, scoring three goals and making four assists.
In 2015 he was transferred to FC Bayern and has developed into one of their key players. The 22-year old made his debut for the national side in May 2016 and has now made 24 appearances for Germany.
Kimmich capatained Germany for the fist time during the Confederations Cup in Russia. He took over the captaincy after Julian Draxler was subbed off in the match against Cameroon.
Thomas Strunz on Joshua Kimmich
"Joshua Kimmich has had a strong season as a right-back and will further develop under Jupp Heynckes. Jupp is particularly good at helping young players progress."
- The average age of Bayern's squad is 26.5 and thus over the Bundesliga average of 25.3
- Munich's back four of Boateng, Alaba, Hummels and Kimmich is one of the best in the world
- Centre-back Niklas Süle has the best pass accuracy of the league with 93.9%. Other Bayern players up there in that stat are Rafinha, Tolisso, Thiago, Alaba and Boateng
- Strike duo Robert Lewandowski and Arjen Robben are the second most dangerous strike partnership in the league
Six players are missing for the Bundesliga champions. Thomas Müller ist out for around six weeks with thigh injury. He and Mats Hummels both injured themselves in the HSV test. The centre back has an ankle problem.
Manuel Neuer is out long-term after breaking his foot in the middle of September. Franck Ribery is also missing. He is looking to return in December after tearing ligaments in his knee.
Juan Bernat and Javi Martinez add to FCB's injury list. Bernat has been out for three months, while Martinez sill miss at least the next two matches.