An away day at the Foals! On Saturday (KO: 18:30 CET), Die Roten Bullen travel to seventh-in-the-table Borussia Mönchengladbach, with around 1,100 RBL fans accompanying the team to Borussia-Park.
In the press conference before the game, head coach Ralph Hasenhüttl gave his views on the upcoming opponent and the current personell situation, while sporting director Ralf Rangnick presented new signing Ademola Lookman.
- I've known Ademola Lookman for two years and have continually followed his development. It's true he hasn't played much in the current season, but when he has been given the chance he has always done well. He is a dangerous attacking player, who can be deployed on both wings. He will give us more options for the starting XI from now until the end of the season.
Marcel Halstenberg's injury had hit us all hard. We started to look for an adequate replacement straight after he suffered the injury. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find a player who could help us in the short time we had."
- "I'm very happy to be in Leipzig. My teammates and the staff have all been very welcoming and my first impressions are thoroughly positive. The conditions here are perfect for me to develop. I absolutely wanted to come to Germany and looked for a new challenge. Ralph Hasenhüttl's way of playing and the team are a good fit for me and I think I'll be able to settle in quickly."
- "The current personnel situation could, of course, be better. After Marcel Halstenburg's injury, we werent able to find an adequate replacement. We now have to get the most out of the squad we have. For the second half of the season, it's even more important to find solutions on the pitch to compensate for players' absence. Last season, thanks to our solidarity we compensated well for personnel shortages.
- The situation ahead of the Gladbach game is similar to last year, when we picked up a decent 2-1 win. A strong team with very good footballers awaits us. They are good on the counter and have the necessary calmness on the ball to be able to play out counter-attacking situations. The upcoming clash could hardly be any tougher.
- It will be an interesting game between two teams, who will openly exchange blows. Like in every game, we want to leave the pitch as the winners. We know how hard it'll be on Saturday, but we need challenges like these for our development."
- Emil Forsberg is training individually. After irritation in his stomach muscles, the striker is still not pain free and will miss out.
- Marcel Halstenberg is doing well after the operation on his cruiciate ligament this week. The left-back will be unavailable for the coming months.
- Tobias Stieler (Hamburg) will referee the game in Mönchengladbach.